Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Opening a Can of Worms

DAY 38

In my last post, I wrote that I'm not sure how to convince my managers about the need for a second go-round of rebranding. Since then, other events have intruded and I have made no progress on this conversation, though I think that will change later today.

This afternoon, I will present my reflections on the NTC to the whole staff, including the directors, in an informal conversation about the future of the organization's mission. I'll present the ideas I took away from the conference about the need to define ourselves clearly and connect in compelling ways with our audiences. And I will raise questions about what the staff thinks our mission is and how we should frame that mission to various audiences. I will ask them how they describe their work to their friends and family. I will ask them what they think is the most unique or important aspect of the work we do. I will raise the question of whether our programs are the most effective way to bring about the change we want to bring or should our mission/goal be more clearly stated than 'change the world for the better.'

If nothing else this conversation will get the staff thinking about these issues and alert the directors that I am approaching this work from square one -- I am questioning the assumptions behind the organization and asking for a rationale for choices that have been made. I may be opening a can of worms, but I believe that is what I am supposed to do if I am going to be any good at my job and make a valuable contribution to this organization.

Stay tuned for a report on the meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment