Saturday, April 11, 2009

So, What Do You Do?

Thursday I went out to lunch with some people from a nonprofit development organization that we occasionally work with. It was a kind of meet and greet thing, just to get to know each other better and keep the working relationships going.

Since I was the new guy, one of our program directors introduced me around as the new communications director. Everyone nodded their head at that and we got down to ordering our lunch.

But when the food came, one of the development people turned to me and asked, “So, what do you do?”

“Well, I’m the Director of Communications for our organization,” I replied.

He looked at me quizzically.

“I do the communications and outreach for the organization,” I offered.

“Oh,” he said, “you mean like the web site?”

“Yes, but its more than that. I’m in charge of spreading the message about our work. I write descriptions of our projects and create graphics for flyers and such.”

“Oh,” he said as he turned back to his chicken curry.

I knew I had missed the mark. My description of my job carried none of the excitement I feel about the work. I wasn’t making sense to him. I wasn’t bridging the gap between people who do the programs and people who communicate about the programs. I wasn’t making him see the value of quality communications and how they are so critical to nonprofit work.

It wasn’t until later in the day that I was able to think of a better way to answer the question, “What do you do?” I realized that my communications work is not just about making tangible changes, like redesigning the web site, producing ‘leave-behind’ materials, or creating a regular newsletter. My role is not defined by these things that I make.


As the communications director, my job is to be the Storyteller in Chief for the organization. My job is to capture the stories that drive the organization’s work. I look beyond the technical aspects of the programs they run to the human emotions and qualities that make it all happen. I draw pictures of the challenges they face in this very personal work of changing their part of the world.


I also realized after that lunch that facing this question and sorting out my answer to it is a critical part of my work. If I cannot explain my value to someone in the nonprofit world, it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to sell the broader audience on the value of our organization. I definitely should take advantage of lunch meetings like these to practice my messaging!

2 comments:

  1. Great point Shannon! I will definitely have to incorporate this idea into the next version of the guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you're able to further explain your work to him. It's vital to know your role in an organization. I think your job in designing is pretty tough 'coz you're the one who gives the audience the first impression. The effectiveness of the organization lies on you. Though accounting for nonprofit is also one of the most important things to consider in building the org's image. An organization's financial status is sometimes inspected by the IRS.

    ReplyDelete